Real Miracle

I thought that I would be a little controversial this week.  I was praying for some people this week.  There were different prayers that I was presenting to God...some were for healing, some for financial needs, some for situations, and some for salvation.  I started to think of the miracles in the Bible.  I thought of the times that Jesus healed people...like when he healed the lepers and when he called Lazarus back from death.  Jesus took care of financial needs...like when he paid the temple tax with a coin from a fish's mouth.  Jesus took care of situations...like when he turned water into wine in order to keep a wedding party from being embarrassed.  Jesus healed people with salvation...like he did with the thief on the cross next to him.
The thought I had this week that almost all of those miracles only delayed the inevitable.  When Jesus healed the lepers it didn't mean that they wouldn't get sick again.  When Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead it didn't mean that Lazarus was going to live forever.  I am almost positive that there has never been another fish caught with tax paying funds in its mouth.  At least I am sure that it has never happened for me...but I would certainly welcome it!  The people at the wedding feast probably drank all the wine and eventually had to go back to drinking just water.
The only healing that is "permanent" is the healing of the soul.  When Christ saves us he saves us forever.  The following is found in 1 John chapter 5.  "God gave us eternal life; the life is in his Son.  So, whoever has the Son, has life; whoever rejects the Son, rejects life.  My purpose in writing is simply this:  that you who believe in God's Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life..."
Just like the thief on the cross, we need to ask for the most important healing...the healing of the broken relationship between us and God.  Jesus takes us and heals that relationship, and it can never be taken away!  I won't stop praying for those who need healing or finances or are dealing with situations, but it will always be of utmost importance to me to pray for those who need salvation!

Comments