Looking at the Valley of the Dry Bones Part 1

This song was released a little while ago.  It has a catchy tune and a timely message.  I am sure you have heard it before.  We even sang it in church.


The song is based on what we read in Ezekiel 37.  Over the next several blogs we will look at different parts of this passage and hopefully experience some serious self-reflection.  I mean...it would be a terrible thing to look into a mirror and then immediately forget what we look like!

The first three verses are below:

The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones.  He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry.  He asked me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" I said, "O Sovereign LORD, you alone know."

I have been part of the worship team for about 5 years.  I have seen many different faces over that time.  There have been different leaders, musicians, and parishioners.  I have also seen many different views of how people, including myself, worship.  There have been times when I have looked out while drumming and seen serious, intent, and God-focused worship going on.  There have been times when I have looked out and seen...well...a valley of dry bones.  

At those times when I look out (and in at myself) and see the valley of dry bones...very dry bones...I have wondered to myself if there is any hope.  Are we destined to just go through the motions?  Are we ever going to realize what an awesome, wonderful, and powerful God we serve?  

It is then that God speaks to me.  He lovingly yet wisely asks me the question, "Can these dead bones live?"  I look at my dry life.  I see the dry bones in the congregation with their dry, cracked lips refusing to sing to Him.  It seems hopeless.  I look to God and humbly tell him, "Oh sovereign Lord, you alone know."

I know that is a bad place to leave this discussion.  It is good though to leave it at the point where we can honestly say...only God knows.  The Almighty is still in control.  He knows what He is doing!

Heavenly Father, I pray for all who have come to the point in their life where they feel like dry bones.  May we wait with eagerness to see what you have next!  We trust You in everything.

In Jesus name,

Amen

Your comments are welcome below.  Thank you for joining me on this journey.

Comments