Temptation Number One...You Really Want It!


Matthew 4:1-4 (ESV) Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

I am in lock-down.  I am self-quarantining due to the virus that is going around.  This has led to an interesting pattern.  I go to my computer.  Then I go to the kitchen.  Then I go to my television.  Then I go to the kitchen.  Then I go to my iPad.  Then I go to the kitchen.  
You may have noticed that I go to the kitchen far too much.  It is true.  The kitchen has a special draw...a temptation as it were...in the form of a giant bag of M & M's.  
I don't know why I want to eat so many of these little chocolate treats.  Perhaps I am afraid of getting too thin (eyeroll) or worried that my blood sugar might be getting too low.  
Jesus hadn't eaten for 40 days.  He had been spending his time praying and fasting and "feeding" his spirit.  I am guessing Satan had been watching the whole time and then offered Jesus something that he really wanted.  Jesus was fully human, and after 40 days without food he really must have desired some sustenance.  The lust for food must have been overpowering.  Jesus answers Satan's lustful temptation with the words, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."  
Our hearts need to desire God more than anything.  We can't let the things of this world take God's place in our heart.  Even something so small as an M & M can tempt us.  We need to constantly seek God first!
This Easter season I pray that you are seeking God first and realizing that your life comes from the Word!
Heavenly Father you are amazing.  Please fill us with a desire for all You have for us rather than what the world has for us.  Turn our hearts toward You and You alone!  In Jesus name, amen!

1 John 2:16  For everything in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--comes not from the Father but from the world.

Comments