Forgiveness

That word.  Forgiveness.  We are so thankful to receive it.  If you are like me though, it is sometimes very hard to give  Last week we talked about Paul and Silas singing in jail.  They were also praying.  I highly doubt...I would have to say that I 100% doubt that they were praying for vengeance on the people who had just beaten them and thrown them in prison.  I also doubt that they were praying for the miraculous deliverance that they eventually received (read about it in Acts 16).  What I believe is that they were praying for the people who had mistreated them.  Their goal wasn't retribution; it was for their persecutors restoration.  They weren't seeking freedom from their chains; they were imploring God to set their "enemies" free from the bonds of sin.
It seems to be a fact of life that we have wrong done to us.  When this happens we need to let it go.  Completely.  There can't even be a hint of resentment left in us if we truly expect God to forgive us.  As I was thinking about this today, it dawned on me that a bunch of people tortured and murdered Christ...and he never did anything wrong.  How can I expect to be treated better than that...knowing all the sins that I have committed!
Heavenly Father, thank you so very much for forgiveness!  We didn't do anything to deserve it.  Help us to forgive like You do.  In the name of your Son we pray, amen.
Fire Student Ministries Youth Group meets Sunday evenings at 6:00 at the First Southern Baptist Church in Dodge City. Come check us out. First Southern Baptist Church is located at 3106 North 14th Avenue.  We would love to see you there!

Comments